Re: Temporal Units

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Temporal Units
Date: 2007-04-30 16:05:04
Lists: pgsql-general
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, John D. Burger wrote:

> There was a brief discussion of this just last week, with a few solutions
> suggested:

   That thread asked how to find business days between any two specified
dates. I would like to create a calendar table that includes business days,
holidays, Julianized dates, and other interesting tid-bits that are of value
in a business application. Then dates can be looked up in the table to learn
their attributes and the calculations don't need to be done each time.

   A Google search with the terms "sql calendar table" returns > 1.4 million
hits. They're almost all SQL Server, T-SQL, and similar. I am really
surprised at not finding a postgresql solution among all these (but I looked
only at the first 40 hits).

<>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863