Re: vacuum and routine maintenance docs

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum and routine maintenance docs
Date: 2006-01-18 23:28:51
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> Well, I'm kind of tempted to rewrite the whole section.  I'd like to
> come up with some objectives of what we're trying to cover there, and
> basically start over with all the information that's there plus the
> other stuff on fsm and mvcc as it applies to vacuum, or link to it as
> needed.

A couple questions I find difficult to answer using the online docs are:

* Is my autovacuum doing a good enough job?
* What percentage of bloat is reasonable (and how can I tell what my bloat
level is)?
* What transaction loads would require specific autovacuum settings, or manual
vacuum fulls?

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954