Re: "ld.so.l: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: fatal:

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: olive Mckenzie <olivemckenzie2003(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "ld.so.l: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: fatal:
Date: 2005-11-19 21:44:12
Lists: pgsql-admin
Olive, please don't take the pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org address out of the
list as others will likely have excellent info for you as well, plus people
can search the archives when they have similar problems.

Are you installing from the TARFILE or from a solaris pkg?

What is the exact command you are running (copy/paste)?  As simply issuing "su
postgres" should not run initdb on login.

To get your command to run, you probably just need to do the following before
you execute it, you could also add this to your bash profile:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/sfw/lib

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, olive Mckenzie wrote:

> Hello Jeff Frost,
>
>  I have installed installed libreadline.so.4. When I do a search for it I
> find it in /opt/sfw/lib.
>
>  initdb kicks off even if i try the command from root.
>
>  Olive
>
> Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> wrote:
>  Olive,
>
> You need to locate the libreadline.so.4 shared library on your system. I'm
> guessing it's not in any of the standard locations and then add that path to
> your LD_LIBRARY_PATH. You might also need to install libreadline if you do
> not have it available on your system.
>
> I'm curious as to why initdb is kicking off when you su to the postgres user
> though. Is this how the solaris pkg is set up?
>

> I'm curious as to why initdb is kicking off when you su to the postgres
> user though.  Is this how the solaris pkg is set up?

>   The reason for using "su postgres"

>  is that it is part of the instructions give by postgresql-8.0.1 for
> installing the software into the user postgres directory.

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Jeff FrostDate: 2005-11-19 21:53:21
Previous:From: Jeff FrostDate: 2005-11-19 21:23:27