Re: Postgresql v 8.0.1-3 problems

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Miguel <migabolinux(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql v 8.0.1-3 problems
Date: 2005-12-21 06:22:16
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Miguel wrote:

> I have used Postgresql v.7.3 under Fedora  v.1.0
> working fine all the time but after I have  made
> upgrade to Fedora 4,  when  I  try init my  postgresql
> using the command line :
> service postgresql start
> I couldn't start my database, an error message appears
> as follow :
>
>> Was an old version of the format of the data base.
> It needs to update the data format before using
> PostgreSQL.  To
> see/usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.0.3/README.rpm-dist for
> more information.

It seems that you've run rpm -U during upgrade :( For major versions (and
for some minor versions) you need to re-initdb the data cluster.

Now you have to install the old version again and take a dump before
upgrade. Follow this document for a major version RPM upgrade:

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000048/98/PostgreSQL-RPM-Installation-PGDG.pdf

It is safe to remove the existing RPMs since they don't remove database
cluster (but backup is everything :-) )Then install the old version again.

Regards,