Re: restoring wal archive and pg_xlog dir

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: restoring wal archive and pg_xlog dir
Date: 2005-06-23 23:01:44
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Simon Riggs wrote:

> That was the bit I thought of. The files are streamed in one by one using a
> temp filename, so you never run out of space no matter how big the archive
> of transaction logs. Thats an important feature if a base backup goes bad
> and you have to go back to n-1 base backup.

I guess I forgot to ask one other question.  If the archived wal files are
streamed in one by one, would it still be safe to leave the pg_xlog directory
intact in the base backup?  What would happen with the out of date log files?
Would they just stay in place or would the postmaster eventually recycle them
after the restore was complete?

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954