Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

From: David Lang <dlang(at)invendra(dot)net>
To: Brendan Duddridge <brendan(at)clickspace(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date: 2005-11-28 03:09:04
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Brendan Duddridge wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance, but what is MPP? Is that part of Bizgres? Is it
> possible to upgrade from Postgres 8.1 to Bizgres?

MPP is the Greenplum propriatary extention to postgres that spreads the
data over multiple machines, (raid, but with entire machines not just
drives, complete with data replication within the cluster to survive a
machine failing)

for some types of queries they can definantly scale lineraly with the
number of machines (other queries are far more difficult and the overhead
of coordinating the machines shows more. this is one of the key things
that the new version they recently announced the beta for is supposed to
be drasticly improving)

early in the year when I first looked at them their prices were
exorbadent, but Luke says I'm wildly mistake on their current prices so
call them for details

it uses the same interfaces as postgres so it should be a drop in
replacement to replace a single server with a cluster.

it's facinating technology to read about.

I seem to remember reading that one of the other postgres companies is
also producing a clustered version of postgres, but I don't remember who
and know nothing about them.

David Lang