Re: Weekly news online?

From: Steve Simms <steve(at)deefs(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weekly news online?
Date: 2005-01-31 02:59:25
Lists: pgsql-www
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Yes, the directory was even created on the old site. I think the problem
>> is more one of getting someone to markup the text every week.
>
> Hmmm .... that should be easy.   Attached for this week.
>
> Of course, marking up the archive would require automated scripts, much more
> difficult.    Any perl hacker volunteers?

Have a look at this utility:

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

I've been using it for a couple of months now, and have fallen in love with
it as a way of writing web pages.  Basically, you write as if you were
writing an E-Mail, and it does the markup.  For this application, it would
be perfect, since we *are* writing E-Mails.

(It's even BSD licensed.)

We'd probably need to do a bit of work on the archives to make it fit, but
it shouldn't be bad, and my Perl would probably be up to the task if we
want to take that route.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Robert Treat wrote:

> The other issue was needing someone to write a bit so we can link to the
> "latest" weekly news automagically.

This doesn't seem like it should be all that hard -- if the files are all
named something like weekly_news-2005-01-31.html, we just need to sort and
take the first/last one.  I won't be of much help if it needs to be done in
PHP, but it seems like it would be a trivial shell script.

Hope this helps.

--
Steve Simms <steve(at)deefs(dot)net>
http://www.deefs.net