Re: problems restoring 7.2.1 dump to 7.3.2

From: Ralph Graulich <maillist(at)shauny(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems restoring 7.2.1 dump to 7.3.2
Date: 2003-04-28 16:35:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Tom,

> > pg_dumpall -D > dumpfile
> Which version of pg_dump, 7.2 or 7.3?

As stated in the documentation I read carefully, I used the pg_dump
version freshly compiled from 7.3.2 (dump from older database using
current pg_dump version of the version you want to restore the dump).

> Could happen, particularly if you'd used CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW to make
> the view refer to a table created later than the view originally was.

You mean creating or replacing views during the building process of the
database? I can recall the whole process of creating the database as I
stored all the necessary statements in a large SQL file. I just checked it
and the tables were always created befor anything else needing the tables
(e.g. sequences first -> tables -> views -> procedures).

> In the meantime, the best available workaround is to pg_dump with -Fc or
> -Ft so that you can use pg_restore's facilities for re-ordering the
> objects at load time.

I will look into this later this evening, as I am currently upgrading my
development machine (good luck I didn't immediately upgrade the production
machine *g*). So I have plenty of time on my hands to figure it out and
come back with more questions for sure.

[Timestamp problem]

> This seems quite strange. I could not duplicate it using either 7.2 or
> 7.3 pg_dump from a 7.2 server. Do you recall exactly how those fields
> were declared? How do they show up in psql \d commands?

Double checked the table definitions in the reactivated 7.2.1 version:

\d dam

[...]
lastchanged | timestamp(13) without time zone |
[...]

Saving everything from the start, I was able to get the original CREATE
TABLE statement out of the backup storage:

--
-- create table dam
--

Didn't complain about anything being wrong. However this field gets dumped
as TIMESTAMP(16), which 7.3.2 can't import. This is not the only table

Kind regards
... Ralph ... still puzzled