Re: [DEFAULT] Daily digest v1.3954 (22 messages)

From: "Serguei A(dot) Mokhov" <mokhov(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [DEFAULT] Daily digest v1.3954 (22 messages)
Date: 2003-09-04 01:19:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:32:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction status in default psql prompt?

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > What do people think about adding the transaction status indicator to
> > the default psql prompt, so it'd look something like this:
> >
> > peter=# begin;
> > BEGIN
> > peter*=# foo;
> > ERROR: syntax error at or near "foo" at character 1
> > peter!=# rollback;
> > ROLLBACK
> > peter=#
> >
> > I think many people would find that useful.
> >
> > Btw., would anyone mind if the code for this indicator where not %T,
> > but say instead %x, because there is a correspondence between psql's
> > codes and tcsh's, and tcsh uses %T for the hour of the day, which is
> > something that someone might want to add someday.

> If you take a close look at the output above, you will see that the
> prompt shifts one character to the right when you are in a transaction.
> That is going to look terrible. I don't think we should have a moving
> prompt as a default.

On the contrary, it could show the transaction level for the case of
nested transactions:

foo**=#

could mean you are within the 2nd nested transaction block, which I'd find
convenient.

--
Serguei A. Mokhov | /~\ The ASCII
Computer Science Department | \ / Ribbon Campaign

"I swear, education is the only industry, where
the consumer is happier when they get less
for their money" -- Julia Timofeev