Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)
Date: 2003-08-31 10:04:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lee Kindness writes:

> You don't... and you simply shouldn't care. If there is a_r version
> available then we should use it - even if the plain version is "safe".

The problem with this is that the automatic determination (in configure)
whether there is a xxx_r() version is, in general, fragile. We cannot
rely on configure saying that xxx_r() doesn't exist, so the plain xxx()
should be good enough. Else, we'd be shipping claimed-to-be-thread-safe
libraries that might trigger bugs that will be hard to track down.

I don't see any other solution than keeping a database of NEED_XXX_R for
each platform and then requiring these functions to show up before we
declare a library to be thread-safe. So far we're only dealing with three
functions, to it should be doable.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net