Re: date format in 7.4

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Silke Trissl <trissl(at)informatik(dot)hu-berlin(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: date format in 7.4
Date: 2004-02-20 15:27:14
Lists: pgsql-sql
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Silke Trissl wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an application where users can enter the date via a web interface.
> Recently I upgrated my PostgreSQL version from 7.3 to 7.4.1.
> On 7.3 I run several tests about the format of the date and found,
> that Postgres accepts almost everything. Today I found out, that 7.4.1
> only accepts dates in the format mm-dd-yy, although the documentation
> still states the following
> #
>     5.
>        Otherwise the date field ordering is assumed to follow the
> DateStyle setting: mm-dd-yy, dd-mm-yy, or yy-mm-dd. Throw an error if a
> month or day field is found to be out of range.
> #
> ref:
> Does anyone know, if it is intentional to restrict it to mm-dd-yy format
> or is is just a bug of 7.4.1?

It is intentional.  But, it's not as restricted as you might think.

You can set the style to one of several ways you can set it.

the idea behind fixing this in 7.4 was that if you set a date style of
SQL, DMY then it would be wring for the database to access a date of
3/14/04 and convert it to March 14th, since your date style said that
march 14th should come in as 14/03/04.

I.e. it's better at checking ranges and throwing out the ones that don't
fit.  Better to have a problem getting the wrong data into the database
than trying to get it back out a couple years down the road.