Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Date: 2003-10-01 13:19:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   With the recent stint of pg_upgrade statements and the impending
> release of 7.4 what
> do people think about having a dedicated maintenance team for 7.3? 7.3
> is a pretty
> solid release and I think people will be hard pressed to upgrade to 7.4.
> Of course
> a lot of people will, but I have customer that are just now upgrading to
> 7.3 because
> of legacy application and migratory issues.
>
>    Anyway I was considering a similar situation to how Linux works where
> their is a
> maintainer for each release... Heck even Linux 2.0 still released until
> recently.
>
>   Of course the theory being that we backport "some" features and fix
> any bugs that
> we find?
>
>    What are people's thoughts on this?

It seems to me the upgrade from 7.2 to 7.4 is easier than an upgrade to
7.3, since at least 7.4's pg_dumpall can connect to a 7.2 database and
suck in everything, whereas in 7.3 I had to dump with 7.2's dumpall and
then tweak the file by hand a fair bit to get it to go into 7.3.

With 7.4 I'm finding upgrading to be easier.  I'll likely upgrade out
production servers to 7.4.0 when it comes out and wind up skipping 7.3
altogether.