Re: -lperl not checked

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: -lperl not checked
Date: 2001-12-23 18:16:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Karel Zak writes:

>  LD_RUN_PATH="" cc  -shared -L/usr/local/lib plperl.o eloglvl.o SPI.o -L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/CORE -lperl -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt -o blib/arch/auto/plperl/plperl.so
>  /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lperl
>  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
>  IMHO right place for this is in the ./configure and something like
>  AC_CHECK_LIB().

First, the Perl build uses mostly the information provided by MakeMaker,
not by configure.  MakeMaker is completely broken and it's only
coincidence that it returns the right answers most of the time.  I've made
some desperate attempts to introduce some sane configury into this system,
but the interfaces are so obscure and poorly documented, it's pretty
difficult.  But it will keep evolving until it does the right thing.

Secondly, in case of a missing libperl, there isn't much you can do as an
alternative, so a configure test will only report an error at a different
time.  I don't think we should load up configure with those kinds of
tests.