Re: Bytea string operator support

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Joe Conway <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bytea string operator support
Date: 2001-09-12 12:54:39
Lists: pgsql-patches
Joe Conway writes:

> 2. Added PQescapeBytea to fe-exec.c

I'm not sure if we want to encode the peculiarities of particular data
types into the client libraries.  I could agree with adding a function
that supplies a general-purpose encoding such as base64 (not necessarily
preferred) which clients can use to feed data to the server.  In the
future we might want to support the SQL-standard input formats for binary
data types, which would require yet another round of functions to be added
to libpq.

After all, bytea is utterly non-standard, and if we make API extensions we
should consider them in the long run.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter