Re: use GUC for cmdline

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: use GUC for cmdline
Date: 2001-06-20 15:43:07
Lists: pgsql-patches
Marko Kreen writes:

> I have not fixed the '-o -F', for which the reason is that
> 'fsync' var has in guc.c context of PGC_SIGHUP.  Another
> such variable is 'log_connections' - it has PGC_SIGHUP
> and in same time is command-line settable.
>
> How should this be fixed?  Simpliest would be to change those
> to PGC_BACKEND.

No.  PGC_BACKEND settings have no permission check, because users can pass
them in from the client with the PGOPTIONS environment variable.  The fix
might involve a non-trivial rearrangement of the way PGOPTIONS is
processed (might be impossible, because PGC_BACKEND might be useless if
the setting will only happen after the first table access (pg_shadow)) or
another context level (might be too much work for one case).  At the
moment you might want to just cheat and fix the context at PGC_POSTMASTER
for this particular case.

> But what exactly means PGC_SIGHUP in ConfigureNames arrays?  ATM I am
> confused.  In set_config_option it seems it should equal to either
> PGC_BACKEND or PGC_POSTMASTER only has different error handling.  But
> why PGC_SIGHUP in ConfigureNames?

See include/utils/guc.h

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter