Re: Perl interfacing to old and new backends.

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Perl interfacing to old and new backends.
Date: 2003-02-20 23:37:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Rudy Lippan wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
>
> > I've got a server currently running postgresql 7.0.2 and I of course want to
> > use the latest and greatest production release (well 7.3.1 at least).
> >
> > The thing being that this is one of those RAQ systems and they have alsorts of
> > wierd system admin things, mostly through a web interface, so I don't really
> > want to just replace the perl modules with ones linked against the new
> > postgresql. I'm also pretty certain that should I be silly enough to try and
> > install the modules from CPAN then they will trash the old versions.
> >
> > Anyone got any hints as to how to run two sets of perl --> pgsql modules
> > without doing a completely new perl install in a different tree?
> >

> Try installing the module in another directory and 'use lib q(path_to_mod);'
> I'd watch trying to run both versions under something like mod_perl,
> however, because things will get very ugly very quickly.
>
> 'perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=somewhere' should get you most of the way there,
> IIRC. For more info: 'perldoc ExtUtils::MakeMaker'

Thanks very much. I actually got there myself having noted the word PREFIX
going by in the CPAN config sequence but I probably should read that perldoc as
it was really a flying blind type thing.

> The other possibility is to change the name of the module from DBD::Pg to
> something else DBD::TestPg or something like that. In this case you would
> be able to use both in the same script or in a mod_perl env.

I never thought of that. As I built a new perl anyway (5.8) I'm prpbably locked
out of using mod_perl now anyway.

BTW, the system does seem to use the postgres installation it had. There's a
cobalt database. I didn't fancy trying to upgrade it since I have no idea what
the system is using it for.

--
Nigel J. Andrews