Re: [HACKERS] Locale support broken in latest snapshots

From: Oleg Broytmann <phd(at)phd(dot)russ(dot)ru>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Locale support broken in latest snapshots
Date: 2000-02-28 15:40:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov gave me the advice to rerun initdb -E KOI8...

And - oops - this helped. Locale test for koi8 locale passed.

It is strange - I did fresh and clean install into empty directory, and
of course I did initdb -E. Locale tests failed. But stopping postmaster,
removing data directory, running initdb -E and restarting postmaster
helped...

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
> Oleg Broytmann <phd(at)phd(dot)russ(dot)ru> writes:
> > In the snapshot of 21 Feb locale support have been broken. "SELECT *
> > FROM table ORDER BY name" returns rows in wrong order; "SELECT * FROM table
> > WHERE name ~* re" performs case-sensitive match.
>
> Ugh.
>
> > I remember Tatsuo once fixed case-sensitiveness by replacing char with
> > "unsigned char". Should I teach my gcc to always use unsigned chars?
>
> No, that's not a solution (since it's not available to non-gcc users).
> We need to find the coding error and fix it.
>
> However, if you can try that as a test to see if it fixes the behavior,
> please do; knowing whether it does will help narrow down what the bug
> could be.

Oleg.
----
Oleg Broytmann http://members.xoom.com/phd2/ phd2(at)earthling(dot)net