Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2
Date: 1999-09-18 14:58:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > Ok, I will do so this weekend, providing there are not too many
> > things broken. I will let you know on Monday what the status is. :)
>
> The current tarball is 6.5.2RC (for Release Candidate). AFAIK, this
> will become the release of 6.5.2, unless there are problems.

Ok, I grabbed 6.5.2, and after only minor trouble, have an
alpha-patched version. The biggest changes to the patch was that a few
of the "safe" changes made by the 6.5.1 alpha patches have made thier way
into the source tree (i.e. CPU defintions in the configure and makefiles).
Only one instance where changes in actual source code broke and patch, and
that instance was trival.
I am running regression tests on the 6.5.2 alpha patched binaries
now. Once they pass, I will post the patch to the list.

> > Good to hear, and you are welcome! Hopefully by 6.6 the patches
> > will not be needed and Linux/Alpha will finally be a fully supported pgsql
> > platform!
>
> Yes! Now if I just HAD one.... ;-)

They are nice machines... And there is a nice range of price/perf
on them, everything from low end inexpensive machine to top of the end
bank-busting machines. :) If you are really interested in playing around
with an Alpha, I would recommend something like an AS200 at the low end,
or a PC164LX at the mid end. Don't waste your time on a UDB though, they
are more trouble then they are worth (overheat and die after a few years
:( ).

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | http://www.rkirkpat.net/ |