";" no longer allowed to terminate a command beginning with "\"

From: Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)newcastle(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ";" no longer allowed to terminate a command beginning with "\"
Date: 2000-06-24 13:42:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi there,

Just would like some "is this a bug or a feature"-style
clarification on this please.

In PostgreSQL v6.5 you used to be able to end a command issued to
"psql" starting with a backslash "\" with a semicolon ";", eg.

bookmarks=> \d sites_tbl;
Table = sites_tbl
TABLE HERE

However, in PostgreSQL v7.0.2, this does not happen, eg.

projman_dev=# \d login_tbl;
Did not find any relation named "login_tbl;".

[even though there _is_ a table called login_tbl]

I know that SQL statements end with a semi-colon, and I also know
that the backslashed commands are _not_ SQL statements. In my case, I
know I am used to ending almost everything I write with a semicolon but
was just wondering whether this was a planned change to the "psql"
application.

Thanks for your time,

--
Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)ncl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay