Re: [GENERAL] equivalent of sqlload?

From: Anton de Wet <adw(at)obsidian(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] equivalent of sqlload?
Date: 1998-11-29 17:05:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Now...I have broken the "copy" process down into smaller chunks and make
> > multiple calls to "copy". I have a total of about 5.4 million records and
> > the job isn't done yet...my Pentium 433 has been working on this copy for
> > over 24 hours.

I have seen pretty much the same effect, to test this I set up script that
copied in 10000 records at a time. The time it took for each copy
increased linearly (starting at about 2.0 seconds on my PII-233) by approx
0.5 seconds per 10000. That means that by the time you have 5 million
records it takes more than 4 minutes to insert 10000 records.

Yes, I checked, there were NO indices defined on the table.

Anton