Re: [GENERAL] JDBC with POSTGRES

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Gilles Darold <darold(at)neptune(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] JDBC with POSTGRES
Date: 1998-08-25 18:06:53
Lists: pgsql-general
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Gilles Darold wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have a little problem with connecting a Java standalone application
> and Postgresql 6.3.2. In fact it doesn't connect.
>
> Before sending you the error output, is anybody can tell me if I have
> to declare a user/password in the h_dba_conf if I want this to work?
> I ask this because I can't test this now. Could you give me the way?

Three things:

1: Make sure you start the postmaster with -i (to enable TCP/IP)

2: have the clients ip/subnet-mask in pg_hba.conf (true for all
   interfaces)

3: create the users within the database (login as the DBA, and use
   CREATE USER)

Send the error, as it usually indicates where the problem lies.

> PS: I heard some news about PostgreSQL crash. For me, I use Postgres from
> the beginning (it was Postgres95) and I never see a backend crash. Ok I
> don't do many things with my databases and there are small but never one
> problem... All my gratitude to the contributors.

I get them occasionally with the stable releases, but it's usually when
I've done something stupid, or just hammered the server.

--
       Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
      Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk