Re: Encoding names

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encoding names
Date: 2001-02-21 09:54:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But HTML meta tags used to use their own encoding names such as
> x-euc-jp, x-sjis....

Not sure, my mozilla understand "ISO-xxxx-x", "Shift-JIS" format too.
But it's irrelevant, important is that something like "Latin2" or "SJIS"
or "EUC_JP" are less standard names. And here aren't HTML only, but other
formats too (I-MODE, Wap, XML ...etc).

> Well, the reaons are:
>
> 1) shell does not like "-" (configure and some Unix commands in
> PostgreSQL accepts encoding names)
>
> 2) I don't like longer names

Sorry, but both are great traverses and please never say "I don't like"
if you talking about already existing standards, it's way to chaos.

Sorry of this hard words, but I hope you understand me :-)

> BTW, I and Thomas (and maybe others) are interested in implementing
> CREATE CHRACATER SET staffs in SQL92/99. The encoding names might be

Well, I look forward.

Karel