Re: [SQL] Newby Postgres questions

From: Tom Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Stephen Horton <shorton(at)nortel(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Newby Postgres questions
Date: 1998-07-09 17:42:38
Lists: pgsql-sql
On 9 Jul 1998, Stephen Horton wrote:

> Howdy list members,
>
> I'm new here and to Postgres.  I have 2 questions:
>
> 1.) Is there a list of the standard embedded SQL statements that Postgres
>     recognizes?  I'm coming from an Ingres background, and I've already scanned
>     over all of the docs.

No list exists, per se.  However, I have tried many of them and found
what works well and what requires some fiddling...I have a new man page
although as fast as Michael improves the code it is probably out of
date - and it's not even released yet ;-)

If you want I will send you the latest man page and be glad to answer any
questions I'm able to...the man page has examples of usage that I employ
in my code.

> 2.) Does Postgres support dynamic embedded sql (such as sqlda)?  I want to
>     dynamically construct SQL statements in my C code and have EGPC parse
>     the embedded SQL that contains variables for what my SQL statement will
>     be (at runtime, not compiletime).

I recall reading awhile back that it does not but I imagine that Michael
is working on it.

Cheers,
Tom G

		User Guide Dog Database Project