Authentication Woes

From: James Hughes <jamesh(at)interpath(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Authentication Woes
Date: 1998-01-20 19:30:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hello,

After installing the latest cvs tree this morning, I cannot use
createuser and createdb. They break when trying to run psql. I can
connect with psql to the template1 database after setting up hba to use
password authentication and starting it with the -u option.

Does the hba still use trust and ident as well? Is there a primer on the
new authentication scheme?

I am moving up from 6.1.0 on Linux.

Thanks,

-James