Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-02-01 20:29:06
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Reece Hart wrote:

> * lack of auto-tuning or tuning tools (or perhaps my lack of awareness
> of them?) aims to provide a tool for 8.4,
that's working but still needs documentation and some loose ends cleaned
up.  Its suggestions aren't good yet for Windows systems yet, that's the
biggest bug left in there.

That's aimed to automate the suggestions set out in

One day I'll make that work better with older versions too.  It does
basically the right thing for 8.3 already but could be smarter, it
includes some parameters that aren't there in 8.2, and doesn't work at all
on 8.1 or earlier.

If you step outside of just free solutions, Enterprise DB's commercial
server product does more complicated autotuning via their DynaTune

* Greg Smith gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com Baltimore, MD