Re: filesystems benchmark

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Adrian Moisey <adrian(at)careerjunction(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: filesystems benchmark
Date: 2008-12-15 17:31:51
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Adrian Moisey wrote:

> I'm trying to compare different filesystems for postgres using pgbench.  The
> problem I've seen is that my IO wait is very very low.  Is there a way I can
> get pgbench to do more to push that up a little?

Increase the database scale until the wait is what you expect.  See
http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/gregsmith/content/postgresql/pgbench-scaling.htm
for details.

The latest filesystem performance comparison I'm aware of is at
http://www.baconandtech.com/files/filesystem_io.pdf

You might also take a look at that to make sure you're not re-mapping
territory that's already been explored.