Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Henrik <henke(at)mac(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3
Date: 2008-06-27 04:47:41
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Henrik wrote:

> I've seen some concerns about buying database performance hardware from DELL.
> Are there at least some of the RAID cards that work well with Linux or should
> I stay clear of DELL permanently?

People seem to be doing OK if the RAID card is their Perc/6i, which has an
LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS 1078 chipset under the hood.  There's some helpful
benchmark results and follow-up meesages related to one of those at
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/47D8B3B6.3010606@emolecules.com

That said, I consider the rebranded LSI cards a pain and hate the quality
of Dell's hardware.  Seems like everybody I talk to lately is buying HP's
DL380 instead of Dells for this level of Linux installs nowadays, I
haven't gotten one of those HP boxes myself yet to comment.