Re: Limited performance on multi core server

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Matthew Lunnon <mlunnon(at)rwa-net(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limited performance on multi core server
Date: 2007-12-12 11:48:48
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Matthew Lunnon wrote:

> I have a 4 * dual core 64bit AMD OPTERON server with 16G of RAM, running
> postgres 7.4.3.
> shared_buffers = 96000

As you've already been told repeatedly 7.4 is a release from long before
optimizations to work well on a multi-core server like this.  I'll only
add that because of those problems, larger values of shared_buffers were
sometimes counter-productive with these old versions.  You should try
reducing that to the 10,000-50000 range and see if things improve; that's
the general range that was effective with 7.4.  Continue to set
effective_cache_size to a large value so that the optimizer knows how much
RAM is really available.