Re: DESC

From: "D(dot) Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com>
To: Mike Castle <dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DESC
Date: 2000-11-22 19:01:10
Lists: pgsql-novice
describe isn't really an SQL reserved AFAIK, its used in most "monitor"
applications, like sqlplus and pgsql

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 06:38:15PM +0100, Albert REINER wrote:
> > And if you start psql with option -E you will see the actual
> > SQL-queries used by \d.
>
> That's nifty.  I've read through all of the pgsql documentation before
> starting everything, but I think I'm suffering a bit from information
> overload.  I knew this information was somewhere, I just couldn't remember
> where.
>
> So, thanks to all who pointed me to \d.
>
> Ok then.  It looks to me like both "DESC" and "DESCRIBE" are SQL keywords.
> DESC apparently is meant for descending, so I'm guessing that Oracle's
> sqlplus usage of DESC is an extension.  Is that correct?
>
> If so, is "DESCRIBE" the ANSI command that should do what \d does or does
> it serve another purpose in ANSI?  (A pointer as to where to find this
> explicitly would be nice; will eventually purchase the standard myself).
>
> If DESCRIBE is supposed to do that, is there any reason that pgsql doesn't
> do that outside of "\d works, so no one has bothered to implement it."
>
> Thanks,
> mrc
> --
>        Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
>   dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com  and be right all the time, or not work at all
> www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/ and be right at least twice a day.  -- mrc
>     We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan.  -- Watchmen

david(at)backpack(dot)com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"