Re: Setting Permissions for web viewing

From: "D(dot) Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com>
To: Kevin Leclaire <kevin(at)virtualnav(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Setting Permissions for web viewing
Date: 2000-10-19 17:30:42
Lists: pgsql-novice
the problem isn't the database, its the user the webserver is running as

you can solve this by using chown and chmod u+s to make the script
execute as a known user to the database

the alernate is to pass in a fully qualified connect string specifying
user/database

-duck

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Kevin Leclaire wrote:

> What's the cleanest way to set permissions in postgres so that a web
> application can properly view and query a back-end database, but not modify?
>
> I have tried modifying pg_hba.conf, and got it to do a pg_connect()
> successfully, however, the subsequent pg_Exex() call failed with the
> following browser error: "Warning: PostgreSQL query failed: ERROR:
> table_name: Permission denied..."
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin

david(at)backpack(dot)com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"