Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gborg -> pgfoundry
Date: 2007-11-09 01:48:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Marc G. Fournier From wrote:

> books(at)ejurka(dot)com (Kris Jurka) writes:
>
> "discussed for a long time", and you *still* did nothing to actually
> prepare for it, and now  you are all in a huff cause what we've been
> discussing 'for a long time' has finally come to pass?

I tried to follow the plan that was laid out.  Everyone talked about
automatic migration, so I waited.  Then Robert asked for people who
needed help moving projects and I responded saying that both pgjdbc and
pljava needed assistance.  I responded to him personally instead of a
list, but other than that I don't feel I should have done anything else.
Duplicating anything on pgfoundry would be more likely to lead to
confusion about which version is authoritative (from regular users who
don't understand the difference between gborg + pgfoundry).  Also
duplicating things would make any automatic migration more difficult if it
needed to merge things instead of a bulk move.

> In fact, even when I said I was going to be shutting it
> down in ~48 hours, there was nothing  from you to anyone about "can we
> move my projects over?", it was all whining about "we need more planning
> and more time" ...

I work on pg in the spare time I can find.  All I could do was ask for
more time.  What about people who are on vacation?  What about people who
don't read pgsql-www?  Why 48 hours?  I know you're hot to get this done,
but after years of talking about it, how would a week or two have been a
real problem?

Kris Jurka