Re: an efficient way of checking if the connection to a db

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Assad Jarrahian <jarraa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: an efficient way of checking if the connection to a db
Date: 2005-12-15 21:42:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Assad Jarrahian wrote:

> Trying to check if a connection is actually open every time I perform
> an operation (if not, I want to reopen it and perform that operation).
> isClosed() is no good, as in, it only guarantees true if close() was
> actually called on it.
>
> The documentation says, the only real way is to actually call an sql
> statement on it. That seems inefficient. Is there any other way that is
> recommended?

The overhead of a query like "SELECT 1" can't be that much. If this is a
concern you could add some code to the V3 QueryExecutor that issued just a
Sync message which would tell you if the connection was still good. Then
you'd have to call a pg specific interface to access this functionality.

Getting the official driver to provide this interface would require
demonstrating that the overhead of SELECT 1 is significantly higher than
Sync.

Kris Jurka