Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Mike Martin <mmartin(at)vieo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData
Date: 2004-08-02 18:20:24
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Mike Martin wrote:

> [I want getColumnName to return the alias name used in a query.]

All the documentation you've pointed to is circumstancial at best. The
phrase "column name" is not a well defined term and seems to be used
differently in different places.

A little time with Google shows people desiring the current driver
behavior which shows there is some need for this. While it doesn't
show your side of the argument because not many drivers have implemented
it this way, you haven't given any other well defined behavior for
implementing getColumnLabel.

The bottom line is that I am comfortable with the driver's current
behavior. Perhaps not as comfortable as I originally was when the
frontend/backend protocol was adjusted specifically for this purpose, or
when the patch utilizing this new data was committed, but I believe it's a
logical and defensible position. You will need to find clear
documentation that this is incorrect or rally some other users to your
position.

Kris Jurka