Re: "Idle in Transaction" and hung connections

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Idle in Transaction" and hung connections
Date: 2004-04-30 17:07:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Gregory S. Williamson wrote:

> Sounds like an excellent suggestion ... we'll get a copy of this release.
>
> Do you know of any incompatabilities with postgres 7.4 ?
>
> We can upgrade a server to 7.5 and the JDBC, put running some servers
> on 7.4/7.4 JDBC might be, uhm, difficult for me to sell operations (and
> we have only seen this problem in runtime). We might also be able to
> look at certain portions of the CVS code and see what changed and make
> backward patches ? (forwarding a suggestion from our engineering people)

You don't need to upgrade a server to use the latest JDBC driver, it has
support going back to at least 7.1. I've produced a patch and set of
binary drivers for the 7.4 series available here:

http://www.ejurka.com/pgsql/jars/transaction_state/

This code has not gotten a whole lot of testing so I'd be careful just
dropping it into a production situation.

Kris Jurka