Re: execute command tag including affected rows count

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: execute command tag including affected rows count
Date: 2004-03-22 01:55:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> > On 21-Mar-04, at 11:39 AM, Kris Jurka wrote:
> >> Would it be possible to have the command completion tag for EXECUTE
> >> return
> >> the affected row count?
>
> However, does this really solve Kris' problem? JDBC generally likes to
> think that it works with old Postgres versions; will a fix that only
> works in >= 7.5 be good enough for them?

I oversimplified the description of the current patch I'm working on,
server side prepared statement support has been in the driver since the
7.3 days. So this problem already exists and has simply been unnoticed.
With the current code it is difficult to enable server prepared statements
and requires writing pg specific code outside of the standard JDBC API.
The patch I'm reviewing makes it simple to turn on server prepared
statements globally and brought this bug to my attention. I would say
"better late than never."

Kris Jurka