Re: Re: useability of apache, PHP, Postgres for real business apps

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: useability of apache, PHP, Postgres for real business apps
Date: 2001-06-28 23:23:47
Lists: pgsql-general
On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Adam Haberlach wrote:

> 	My only issue is that PHP suffers from some of the same managability
> issues as perl in that it is very easy for one person to write code that
> no other person understands, and not have any compiler or type-safety to
> prevent this.  I hope to be moving to .jsp soon in order to fix this by
> creating a more structured development environment.
I hate to start religious war, but the language does not decide
readability or maintainability of code. Code must be subject to peer
review before put in production, whether it is written in C, Perl, PHP or
Java. At one environment I worked, Java/JSP code was full of garbage.

Sure, it is _readable_ but definitely not understandable. At a different
environment, Perl was used as main language, but it was controlled and
reviewed for understandability.

-alex