RE: relation ### modified while in use

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: relation ### modified while in use
Date: 2000-11-02 23:03:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> PL/pgSQL already prepares a plan at the first execution
> time and executes the plan repeatedly after that.
> We would have general PREPARE/EXECUTE feature in the
> near fututre. IMHO another mechanism to detect plan invali
> dation is needed.
Excellent point. While now I don't consider it too inconvenient to reload
all my stored procedures after I change database structure, in future, I'd
love it to be handled by postgres itself.

Possibly, plpgsql (or postgresql itself) could have a 'dependency' list of
objects that the current object depends on?

This would additionally help dump/restore (the old one, I'm not talking
about the newfangled way to do it), since, for restore, you need to dump
the objects in the order of their dependency, and plpgsql procedure can
potentially depend on an object that has a higher OID...

-alex