Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)lan2wan(dot)com>
To: The Web Administrator <wwwadmin(at)wizard(dot)ca>
Cc: aegir(at)rocketmail(dot)com, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date: 1998-07-24 17:54:51
Lists: pgsql-general
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, The Web Administrator wrote:

> The boys at Postgres have so far done a good job of creating an effecient
> Database, let's keep it that way, rather than created a Clone of some
> commercial software that might have years of compatibility issues that
> forced implementation of methods that may not be the most effecient..
> So let's stop comparing Postgres to the rest.. If there is something we
> need to do with our Databases that we can't, then these are the issues we
> should address only..

PostgreSQL is the first real database server I've ever used.  I've not
used Oracle or Sybase or anything like that, so the only thing I can
compare it with is desktop database systems like MS-Access, and all I can
say is that there' s no comparison. :-)  I don't want PostgreSQL to be
like Access, nor anything else for that matter, but just be what it is.

Brett W. McCoy
"The Number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972