Re: Reference manual

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reference manual
Date: 2001-02-09 19:28:33
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber writes:
>
> > > I don't see a difference in content between
> > >
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/#7.0
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/
> > >
> > > (apart from the links to other formats, of course).  So could you
> > > elaborate on your concerns?
> >
> > Tom already did part of it.. it looks like hell (to paraphrase) and is
> > somewhat content free.
>
> But you don't claim that the listing at
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/#7.0
>
> has any additional content whatsoever, do you?

Yes, it tells you exactly what you're going to get when you click
on it.

> > The previous index in the integrated doc was much more useful than
> > this.
>
> Possibly, although I found it way too long.  There were other,
> maintainance related reasons for the change too.  But the look can always
> be changed.
>
> >  Also is the overall size of the integrated
> > version vs the individual parts (for the non-html renditions).
>
> Nobody was talking about the non-html renditions.
>
> > This new index also doesn't match the website, it's like you left and
> > went elsewhere
>
> True, but that is not a fault of the new vs. the old docs.  And it can be
> fixed.  If you can give me some sort of include files to stick at the top
> and bottom of each page, we can have the web site docs have the same side
> bar and colors and everything.

Can't use includes.  Can't use PHP.  Can't hard code it into the docs.
Can't use a bunch of things.  We have mirrors.   I'd love to redo it in
PHP and serve up the content dynamically but that ain't gonna happen any
time soon.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com    http://www.pop4.net
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking