Re: Flush Shared Buffer Cache

From: Suvankar Roy <suvankar(dot)roy(at)tcs(dot)com>
To: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>,pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Flush Shared Buffer Cache
Date: 2009-07-16 05:23:15
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi Chander,

Actually I am trying to figure out how much execution time any query is
taking is taking when executed for the first time.

Because once a query is executed for the first time, the query plan, data
buffer is cached so subsequently time taken is much lower.

For this, I want to have the Shared buffer cache flushed to note the
initial execution time.

Is my understanding correct here ?

Regards,

Suvankar Roy

Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
07/15/2009 08:48 PM

Suvankar Roy <suvankar(dot)roy(at)tcs(dot)com>
cc
pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject
Re: [ADMIN] Flush Shared Buffer Cache

Suvankar Roy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help me out with how to flush out Shared Buffer Cache in
> Postgres.
>
> One way would be to restart the database, but I would like to avoid
that.
AFAIK, that's the only way.

Is there a reason that you need to dump the shared buffers?  Perhaps if
we knew what you were trying to accomplish we could provide you with a
suitable solution that doesn't require a restart...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

ForwardSourceID:NT00004B0E