schema level variables and deferrable unique constraints

From: Paramveer(dot)Singh(at)trilogy(dot)com
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: schema level variables and deferrable unique constraints
Date: 2004-09-20 11:29:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

sorry my last mail went incomplete
please read through this and ignore my last mail
paraM

----- Forwarded by Paramveer Singh/Trilogy on 20/09/2004 05:21 PM -----

Paramveer Singh
20/09/2004 05:56 PM

To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
cc:

hi!
I apologize for mailing on the hackers list but I posted on the general
list and did not get a good answer.
I have two independent issues, but am addressing them together.

1.
Oracle has package level variables which are not mappable to any postgres
equivalent.
could we have something like schema scope variables which could be
directly referred from let's say plpgsql functions?
Can someone give me some pointers on how to go about implementing this?

2.
Postgres does not support deferrable unique constraints.
we would however like to support this especially as some updates give
non-standard behavior because of this.
where do I start reading up on what all needs to be done to support this?
I have no idea about the postgres codebase. I only understand the
implementation of the plpgsql library.
Any pointers on where to start would be helpful

thanks
paraM