Using PostgreSQL with Win2000

From: <Oliver_Hall(at)scee(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Using PostgreSQL with Win2000
Date: 2000-09-14 16:17:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

Although I've been using Postgres under Linux for a while now, I'm trying
to build Postgres 7.0.2 under Win2000 and finding it rather hard going.

I've followed the instructions given in the only documentation I can find
on compiling Postgres under Windows (HOWTO-25 and it's twin portNT) but:
a) this documentation seems incredibly convoluted (e.g. copying bin all
over the place)
b) it doesn't give much (if any) explanation for what each step doing (e.g.
creating various directories & links - like "libpostgres.a" which doesn't
seem to exist)

I've got as far compiling successfully, but initdb fails for odd reasons
(something about Multibyte support), and when I eventually got past that
using the -E option, psql won't connect. Again the error code isn't much
help (109 I think)

Could anyone point me towards a more comprehensible procedure for getting
the Postgres backend up and running under Windows 2000?
Many thanks,
Oliver

the system manager.

SCEE