Is there any problem with pg_notify and memory consumption?

From: Per-Olov Esgard <Per-Olov(dot)Esgard(at)micronic-mydata(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is there any problem with pg_notify and memory consumption?
Date: 2011-05-26 12:26:49
Lists: pgsql-general

In my environment which is linux on the server side and both windows and
linux on the client side I have noticed that the introduction of pg_notify
(with payload) makes the size of the postgres processes on the server side
increase much more than before I used the notifiy calls. My server
interface is a pure psm interface and I use the pg_notify inside my psm:s.

I understand that a server process connected to a client which is
listening for notifies must in some way store the data sent before it is
consumed by the client. By my problem is that my linux clients don't
listen for any notifications. And still the corresponding postgres process
on the server side seems to grow out of control (checked with ps axuw %MEM
column).

This is currently a big problem for me since my linux application is an
embedded application with very limited resources.

And yes. I must have the notfify functionality since I'm using it from my
Windows clients.

My postgres version is 9.04

Is this behaviour to be expected or is there a memory problem in this
area?

Any idea anyone?

Per-Olov Esgård

The information contained in this communication and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged, and is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
formally notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution of this message is prohibited. Please notify the sender
immediately by replying to this message and destroy all copies of this
message and any attachments. Micronic Mydata is neither liable for the
proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this
communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.