Re: Problem with n_distinct being consistently inaccurate.

From: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with n_distinct being consistently inaccurate.
Date: 2003-09-24 15:07:51
Lists: pgsql-admin
Tom-

Thanks for helping me work through my question about the effect of
n_distinct. Now that I understand how little this statistic affects the
query plan, I'm going to spend some time trying to puzzle it out more on my
own before coming back to the list for advice.

Thanks also for pointing out that I should be using explain analyze instead
of explain. I didn't realize the option existed until you pointed it out,
and will use it henceforth.

I apologize if the tone of my messages sounded like complaining. My interest
is simply to find a solution to a problem I'm having in my production
environment. Problems with Postgres are few, but when I run into something I
don't understand, I value your willingness to help out and certainly don't
want to imply that I'm complaining to the folks who have provided me with a
free database and more importantly, free education and support.

Thanks (I mean it!)

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser

    nickf(at)doxpop(dot)com  Phone 1.765.965.7363  Fax 1.765.962.9788
doxpop - Court records at your fingertips - http://www.doxpop.com/