Re: ODBC driver and DSN packaging

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: 'Chaitra' <chai(at)ceasewire(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC driver and DSN packaging
Date: 2002-04-10 13:03:52
Lists: pgsql-odbc

-----Original Message-----
From: Chaitra [mailto:chai(at)ceasewire(dot)com]
Sent: 10 April 2002 18:25
To: dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: ODBC driver and DSN packaging

Hi Dave,

I saw one of your posting in postgresql.org. I'am sorry for mailing you
directly..but i did this expecting some kinda help from you as i'am totally
stuck in a problem.

I have a client exe applicaiton now i need to deploy that client applicaiton
on different machines. this client applicaiton connects to a remote
database...now i need to package this exe along wiht the ODBC driver for the
database and the DSN settings for the database.
To create such a installer wat packaging tool should i use and pl. tell me
the steps of auto installing the driver and the DSN settings on a client
machine.
i'am badly stuck in this problem...pl. help me.

Please use the pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org <mailto:pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
list for future questions.

The easiest option is to download the Merge Module distribution of the
driver from http://odbc.postgresql.org/ <http://odbc.postgresql.org/> and
include the module with you installer, built using any Windows Installer
aware installation tool such as a recent Installshield or Wise for Windows
Installer (which I use). In Wise, to create a DSN on the client, you just
select it when building your installation and the settings are imported. I
don't know about Installshield.

Regards, Dave.