postgres at reboot

From: "Calvin Hom" <chom(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgres at reboot
Date: 2008-09-25 19:08:47
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi Everybody,

About 1.5 month ago, my machine (which runs redhat linux

2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp on Dell hardware with postgres 8.3.3)

had a terrible crash.  I am mostly recovered, but there

is at least one more thing that's not right.

Namely, when the machine gets rebooted, postgres doesn't

start automatically.  Before the crash, there was no such

I see a file /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql.  Is this the

start-up script?  If not, please tell me what would be the

correct one (and where would I find one).  If it is, can you

please tell me where I would find the latest one anyway?

(Maybe the latest one got lost and I am looking at an old

The detail of how it happens escapes me, but as near as I

can reconstruct in my head, after the reboot I discover that

postgres is not running and I issue:

  pg_ctl start

and it complains something to the effect that it is already

started (which seems to be not true) and maybe it gives me

a pid for the postmaster.  I think I tried:

  pg_ctl stop

and it told me something a bit disageeable.  But I found a

file with that pid in /tmp directory and when I remove that

file, then "pg_ctl start" succeeds.

If this sounds familiar to you (or you have some clue as to

what is going on), I would appreciate a tip.

Tena Sakai

pgsql-admin by date