Re: restoring from dump

From: "Tena Sakai" <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marcelo Martins" <pglists(at)zeroaccess(dot)org>,<jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: restoring from dump
Date: 2008-08-26 16:06:09
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi Alvaro,

> Maybe initdb was executed?

Yes.  I installed 8.3.3 afresh and as a part of
such initdb was executed.  I have saved (renamed)
the previous distribution (8.3.0) and there are
many files in pg_clog directory there.  The oldest
one is named 00, and consecutively named in hex
2 digit name as 01, 02, .. , 09, 0A, 0B, .. , 84.
Then it skipped to 88 (no 85, 86, 87).  The size
of each file is 262144 bytes, with exception of
88, which is 163840.

I just looked at the one in new (8.3.3) directory:
  -bash-3.00$ date
  Tue Aug 26 08:40:35 PDT 2008
  -bash-3.00$ pwd
  /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog
  -bash-3.00$ ll
  total 24
  -rw-------  1 postgres postgres 24576 Aug 26 02:33 0000

As I compare the size with what's in last night's email,
there is no difference in size.  The timestamp is in the
middle of night.

Fascinating...

Regards,

Tena Sakai