Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Create a GUC parametertemp_tablespacesthat allows selection of

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Create a GUC parametertemp_tablespacesthat allows selection of
Date: 2007-06-05 15:20:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

--On Montag, Juni 04, 2007 15:34:14 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
wrote:

> Perhaps a reasonable compromise could work like this: at the first point
> in a transaction where a temp file is created, choose a random list
> element, and thereafter advance cyclically for the duration of that
> transaction. This ensures within-transaction spread-out while still
> having some randomness across backends.

Doing this on transaction-level looks pretty nice; The original code choose
the random element on backend startup (or every time you call SET).

Btw. i saw you've removed the random selection implemented by MyProcId %
num_temp_tablespaces. I liked this idea, because PID should be pretty
random on many OS?

--
Thanks

Bernd