Help with Cygwin/Postgres

From: "Web Design" <webdesigna(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help with Cygwin/Postgres
Date: 2001-11-17 11:47:00
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
I thought I was doing myself a favor by purchasing a book from wrox on using
PostgreSQL.  I am trying to setup Cygwin on an XP box.  I've installed
Cygwin countless times and cant figure out what step im missing.

From reading other posts, i gather that i don't need to compile postgres
since i selected it in the installation of cygwin.  The instuctions in my
book don't tell me what to skip if im not compiling so im lost.  Ive started
the ipc service and i think i should do initdb now but where do i put it and
do i make the dirs first since i didnt compile?  What syntax do I use?  I
wish there was some list of objectives that i could understand and follow to
help me with this.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Kj