Re: Hardware recommendations

From: "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com>
To: "John W Strange" <john(dot)w(dot)strange(at)jpmchase(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hardware recommendations
Date: 2010-12-09 00:03:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

John,

The platform is a network monitoring system, so we have quite a lot of inserts/updates (every data point has at least one record insert as well as at least 3 record updates). The management GUI has a lot of selects. We are refactoring the database to some degree to aid in the performance, since the performance degradations are correlated to the number of users viewing the system GUI.
My biggest concern with SSD drives is their life expectancy, as well as our need for relatively high capacity. From a purely scalability perspective, this setup will need to support terabytes of data. I suppose I could use table spaces to use the most accessed data in SSD drives and the rest on regular drives.
As I stated, I am moving to RAID 10, and was just wondering if the logs should still be moved off to different spindles, or will leaving them on the RAID10 be fine and not affect performance.